Saturday 2 August 2014

#49 - Jeudi 31st


de se rappeler

(to remember) 



good morning Rennes....
 
the small yellow flowers had popped up overnight!
Ward round and then hanging around with the medical students, it was nice to have two patients to check up on, I read through their notes and kept busy. The students were lovely, they kept trying with me and even if it was just through smiles! My patient on Bearn ward was looking sick which was very sad, for all of us. He was prescribed some stronger water tablets but only time would tell... 





Overall it was a good morning on the ward, although it was the medical students' last day, which I was actually quite sad about, we'd had some laughs about the language barrier. I escaped before clinic, cycling then walking to the park with the beautiful lake and waterlilies - very quick 'picnic' lunch and off I set again for clinic... found Hotel Dieu without a problem and arrived forty-five minutes early! Time to find some coffee (the town centre was surprisingly very close)... ordered the coffee fine I think and enjoyed it in the 'Hotel' garden.
 

Consultations were interesting, memory again - we saw three patients, one of whom was doing okay, for further assessment, one to be reffered for a weekly Alzheimers restbite thing, and the final consultation discussing care home options. I learned some things I'll use in England, managed to make some small talk with a patient for a while and it was really interesting to observe how people react to the memory tests, not their scores but their attitudes. The final couple was quite sad, especially after the doctor explained why she'd mentioned the care homes today - she just didn't think they could cope, it was okay for the moment, but very clearly 'for the moment.' Oh and the first patient didn't have a degenerative memory problem, she'd suddenly had an incident, leaving her with a memory deficit - big thing to adapt to. Had a chat about the differences I've noticed between French and English geriatrics, I'm going to write a list and share it with the doctors - I forget its interesting for them to see how England is too...
 


Cycled home (no wrong turns), stopping off at a different supermarket... it wasn't the nicest but it had a good selection, including a 'turkish delicacy' section... (mainly meat). Also bought a ?bagettine, it wasn't a baguette whatever it was! (Very similar just a little smaller). Home. Fed Phoebe. Phoebe was sick (without wanting to be vuglar, what a strange sound). Sorted the sick. Lost my appetite slightly. So ran.... even did a few (shock-horror) sprints... & overtook the same runner twice!

 More quiche, much better now and a good natter in English. I think phoebe was hungry...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment