Sunday 3 August 2014

#52 - Dimanche 3rd

un touriste

(a tourist) 






Up and on the 10.01 bus into town, changed to the metro to the CHU (Centre Hospitalier Universaire of Rennes) where I've been for two clinics. I took a lot of photographs, I couldn't believe how big it is and I love how all the buildings are so different. It was bizare seeing CHU in real life after using the website months ago to apply here!
 




Emergencies

Dieticians have the old 'chimney' style building...





Cardio-Pulmonary


Back onto the metro to see Rennes University number 2 (they have two unis here, called 'une' and 'deux'....) From here I cycled back (error free) into town and had a wander with my tourist map. I was all set to hop back onto the metro and see ride the metro to the other side of town and back - just to see.... but my ticket had fallen out of the hole in my jeans pocket.... I should sew that...!

I'm not sure why/how the light was doing this!


library (bibliothèque)

'make your own family'

? sundial?


France is asleep on Sunday mornings, I only saw a handful of people - the majority of whom were sightseers - all clutching our maps! I visited the cathedral, very grand - I think Christian was right, it took so long to build ?400 years it lacked a distinctive style... the other church was very imposing - huge gold sculptures.. it was almost frightening. The Abbey now houses a history and art exhibition, I didn't like the art.. but it was impressive how realistic it looked from so few brushstrokes. I was tired by this point and needed to get some bread before the shop shut.... nowhere looked open in town.... 




Too late to get a treat at the boulangerie, brown baguette today (very tasty). Had an hour or so chilling at home... cycled into town to Thabor park... this is where the French spend their Sundays - so many people, all sat on the grass with their families or (like me) reading, feet resting on the fountains, very peaceful - I lost a few hours there. Complicated public loos, well the first loos didn't have a main door - no door at all for men, (also no loos in France have loo seats.... bizarre) the second set of loos required buttons to be pressed to lock the door, I was too slow and so the light went off - absolute drama... no wonder the queue moved so slowly! Ice cream to keep me going... I found the other Abbey, the fantastic swimming pool and also the school where Drayfus's second trial was held. Cycled home and was getting ready for a run when the doorbell rang. Oh no. I ignored it... it rang again. 




swimming pool


Anne's mother had arrived, now she's lovely don't get me wrong - but it was a surprise... engaging my French brain suddenly.. I think went alright and we've sorted a plan for getting to the airport on Friday too. Run was good, I felt good on the way back, I stopped a lot on the way out with a stitch... maybe the ice cream?

While I remember, runners here wear some odd things. I've seen, on the hottest days men in full leg and arm lycra... today there were some odd colour combinations but other days however I've seen a lot of people in t-shirts & normal clothes - I've been mistaken as to whether they are running for something, such as a bus or actually running... !!

Tomato, basil, courgette pasta, deep-fried my courgette flower stuffed with cheese (BBC good food recommended it) - pretty nice! And I've just had some homemade crepes too....




No comments:

Post a Comment