Sunday 3 August 2014

#51 - Samedi 3rd

des legumes
 
(some vegetables)
 

 


 
 The weekend! Had another lazy morning and big breakfast... leaving for the market late as usual. I managed to just dodge the rain to get there. Arrived easily (no getting lost!). Horror struck as the 'tomato-man' was absent.. I wandered up and down a few times before I dared attempt some french and even then I didn't dare ask for everything I needed! Had a good laugh asking for a small packet of cherry tomatoes, "err des tomates..... petite pacquet?" - somehow (with me also pointing) he understood. The market is the second largest food market in France and its well known in Europe also, no wonder I'm so impressed. It is lovely to see the families working on the stalls, children hiding behind playing computer games, you can tell these vegetables are family businesses, grown nearby - Bretagne is the agricultural centre of France. I was very proud with my selection of veggies, taking the bus home, too scared of damaging my precious veggies. I even think I managed to fine a rare 'snozcumber' (reference to Rold Dahl's The BFG)... (middle, left)
 
 
Mozzarella, tomato and basil salad before heading back into town, bus, metro fine (amazing I know). And then the rain that had been coming and going all morning - all poured at once, great fun! Although... my coat isn't waterproof.... 
 
 

The Musee de Bretagne was lovely, very nicely laid-out, history section from Neolithic times to modern day, very interesting & I even understood vaguely the history of Bretagne, at one point it could have been British but Anne of Bretagne (& her daughter) married French Noble people and despite some rebel protests eventually it was concluded to be french. They have an exhibition on working clothes too - how the uniforms are used for identification and also protection... The photo shows health workers uniforms until 2010 (midwife, nurse, nurse's aide, civil servant?, radiology)... for economic reasons they now all wear white, with a coloured stripe. Its very smart in hospital and I imagine a little cooler being white...
 

Afred Dreyfus was on trial in Rennes, he was an innocent man... I need to research this more....

Everywhere in France post WW2, the french flag erasing the swastika
 
 

Bretagne is famous for agriculture, fishing, tourism, and music and technology apparently and they have their own language! Stopped by H&M on my way home...

Christian, Anne's friend was meeting me tonight to watch a 'show' in the town centre... I recieved this email:

"Well, my friend is not so well organized... Her car was too small to take off the two furnitures she bought ; I told her but she only beleive in herself, so.... To solve the problem, the owner of the shop proposed to deliver them after closing at 7 p.m. at her flat. But, knowing her, I am sure she will be still needing help... In compensation of this mishap, she propose to offer us a drink...   with a bottle or two I will bring with me ! I am still intending to pick you up at 7 p.m. at Anne's flat.
It seems to me Indiana Jones life is still sticking to my body... Discovering you soon.             Christian"


On a side note, the french people I have met, have been pretty honest about their friends... Anne may have said her daughter was getting fat, have warned me who, of her friends talk too much, her mother is a 'nice older person, not a bad one...' Nice and honest.

Anyway 'Indiana Jones' arrived, without my glasses from the balcony I could almost get the IJ vibe... Think indiana jones how Dad is James Bond... Off we set on the bikes, he didn't always give me much notice with turning. Odd hour or so, meeting this friend and her children, I nearly sat on her new granite worktop and then she forced some food upon me - still no idea what that was... I was welcomed into the divorcee club, should I be in a similar situation in 20years... what do you say to that? Although they all have good english, I'm not sure they understood me much, yes I spoke slowly Mum. I made them laugh acting out a bike drama last week, with the seat falling down though...
 

Indiana on the right of the stage taking photos


To the concert... very English feel, pouring with rain, persisting, sitting on soggy deckchairs... Christian kept trying to tell me things between the songs... Anne of Betagne's statue was destroyed from the square... I think to signify they were now a part of France, but it could be the other way around. Ten pm, time for tea... I had another galette, cheesy, walnuts and salade with some cidre... very tasty. It was a mussels restaurant so all around people had about 40 mussels each!! For pudding we shared this weird, quite literally, bread with caramel sauce... it tasted exactly as it sounds, sugary but 'c'est bizare'... not again in a rush. Chrisitan insisted I went to see the toilet before we left, it was something else....I did go... still not sure what was special about it.... honestly no idea... anyway! Quite sad actually, he has two children but they aren't in touch with him at all after the divorce... I was ready for home but Christian wanted to show me some of the town, including where the student nightlife is (thursday nights in France), where Anne's daughter works - yes in an old prison, and you can tell.... but its where people in fashion etc.. go on a saturday night. Indiana jone and I peering it was slightly odd. We saw the oldest house in Rennes, which is now a 'bar nuit', the bouncer wasn't wanting to chat, but Christian was... Finally got back on the bikes and tootled home, I was quite glad to get back! Very nice though he is, I'm not sure his comprehension of English was as good as perhaps his speaking in English... and he speaks alot in English - Anne had warned me correctly.

Bed

No comments:

Post a Comment