Thursday 26 June 2014

#11 - Monday 23rd


sleepy

 
Scottish Ambulance

 Did not want to get out of bed. Morning clinic, some tricky cases but not too bad, computers down. Thankful for the cup of tea before home visits. Three home visits to the elderly, one woman really wanted to chat & show me her paintings, oh I love the elderly. Unfortunately one elderly lady was sick and we had to make the decision to call a helicopter. Logistically quite complicated, (especially when the air ambulance didn't confirm a time... we ended up rushing a little!) Louise the ambulance driver, Cheryl the nurse, Jonathan, I and met at the house to help transfer the patient. I stood in an ambulance for the first time! All the equipment is high tech and compact/foldable - very complicated. I'd kind of expected the ambulance to be a normal car... but no its a real, working ambulance! apparently on the Channel Islands they have an 'ambulance' that is pulled by a tractor... due to a car ban on the island... hmm! The firefighters and 'airport staff' were also present as we watched the helicopter arrive and then leave for Kirkwall, where I'll be working next week... In the midst of all this Mum texted me "check BBC news, woman in Orkney rescued by helicopter and two kayakers... was that you?" - I can confirm it was not me... I later found out the gossip, this happened off another island - where people gather for the summer solstice. Anyway after seeing the helicopter off we had time to visit the 'Wheeling Steen Gallery', some stunning photographs of the northern lights, sighted from Westray last year. Delicious americano and pecan slice - still struggled to stay awake! Evening surgery was more straight forward, pasta for tea. Was the sun going to come out for sunset? I cycled over... but no - not tonight! So cold here, usual two fleeces and a waterproof still sometimes isn't enough!



Everyone coming together



No comments:

Post a Comment