Thursday 26 June 2014

#12 - Tuesday 24th


 sunny


Pierowall in the sun

 

Sunny Tuesday, thats what I'd told the whole of Westray. Everyone I met I enlightened them to the 'sun without cloud' forecast I'd seen predicted - from two different sources no less. I was so convinced of this radiant, burning heat and sun I set my alarm clock for 3:29am, just enough time for me to wake up, dress and cycle to the sunrise... one look outside changed my mind, far too cloudy. Still cloudy when I got out of bed at 8.... (rhubard and yoghurt for breckie). Said bye to some other fellow hostel friends and cycled to work. Blood clinic, seemed to get one vial of blood but not the next, tricker patients I think... didn't let a patient faint though! Clinic was alright, dermatology heavy today - computers still not right, no visits so home again by lunch... (rhubarb crumble snack) The sun was going to break through the clouds soon so I sat outside and did some medicine work.... brrr... two fleeces & my fingers were still like ice blocks. It's amazing how moody you can get just from being cold - decided the way to warm up was to run... Ran down from Pierowall bay along the west road to Turquoy bay, really, really beautiful, made the mistake of running along the sand and was chased, quite agressively by the flock of turns... it kept me moving quickly shall we say! Thankfully around the corner, my girls cheered me up - a field of cows either side of me decided to race with me... they got me up that hill! Glad to be 'home', decided I'd have to leave my soggy shoes outside, my room was developing a lingering damp smell...hm... (on a more positive note, 24hours since the rain my towels on the washing line are DRY). Late lunch and possibly a cake stop at the Haff Yok this afternoon prior to maybe attempting kayaking... !


On another side note, I love the house and street names here, very Lord of the Rings: Kalisgarth, Chalmersquoy, Ha'brek etc... apparently they're actually from Viking times... my favourite's 'Lastigar'.

The day thankfully picked up a bit, we got the kayak on the water & i got 'life-jacketed' up.. then slightly terrifyingly I was out in the bay with just a paddle... absolutely amazing, one of the best experiences of my life... as I began paddling I got a little too close for around a dozen seals laid out on the seaweed, they all jumped into the water... far too curious to disappear, lots of pairs of eyes kept popping up above the water.. after watching for a few moments they'd dive again... and then resurface to watch some more. A few seals followed me all the way to the other end of the bay, I was about 3m from one, so beautiful. Great fun playing the games with the seals, they'd follow, as I stopped if I waited a moment... their heads would pop just above the surface... as if to see why I'd stopped/what had happened?! Picked up a few more seals on the way back up the bay. If i turned my head sharply or sometimes if I just spotted them you could hear and see the scurry to get back underwater... they were silent when they surfaced but noisy going back under! oh & to put the cherry on top, the clouds had blown away and the sun was shining gloriously... for the first time in a while I was possibly warm...! (&still dry!!) Beautiful sunset tonight - made it just in time as there were some clouds on the horizon, other people about but no one on the beach... 


still dry!
Grobust beach

Grobust beach looking over to the lighthouse at Noup Head


No comments:

Post a Comment