Saturday 28 June 2014

#16 - Saturday 28th


moving






 Last rhubarb breakfast for a while possibly... Suitcase absolutely filled to capacity (I had to part with my converse...). Having said this, coming to Orkney I had a huge backpack and suitcase - I've downsized to just suitcase and a small handbag! Beautiful clear flights, Westray to Papay (one and a half minutes) and then onto Kirkwall (around eleven/twelve minutes) - even the sun came out & I could see some trees! Trees don't grow in Westray, its surprising how many people notice the lack of trees and do miss them! Seeing Kirkwall from the air scared me - it looked huge. On arrival, two American passengers and one guy having completed a sight-seeing loop on the plane received their certificates for completing the world's shortest scheduled flight (between Westray and Papay) - I decided I was too cool for that, maybe I was a little arrogant but I've started to think of myself as a local... and do I really need a certificate of that.... Aunty B has taught me not to hoard! Walked out of the airport and straight onto a normal, huge stagecoach bus. I was not ready to leave Westray. Thankfully the driver stopped the bus and shouted to me 'hospital' at the appropriate stop... Not too much to see, grey building looking very similar to the houses.. Collected my key and after a 'wrong-way-wander' around the hospital rubbish areas and back doors found the accommodation. Big room, three of us in this flat, very nice. The only food I managed to bring with me (suitcase space minimal): paprika - chilli flakes - ginger and teabags... so I went to explore the hospital canteen. Very cute & very reasonable prices, (egg roll). I made it to the Tesco (might have had another wee snack), and then realized I was near the harbour - decided I would meet Rosie there instead of the hospital... there were so many boats - (I'm used to just one arriving... ) And, amazingly, this isn't the only harbour on the island?! (I know) so back to the hospital! Finally found Rosie and together managed a Tesco shop, it took quite a while, we were hopeless at decisions, blaming our relaxed state after island life for two weeks and our discomfort of being in such a large place. We really weren't coping with the number of people/cars/places compared to the outer isles... Lunch in town - (a choice of cafes!). Lots of cheering from the back of trailers... apparently its a pre-wedding tradition? Time for a few cups of tea, tea and then an explore before bed! Planning on visiting Shapinsay tomorrow....





No comments:

Post a Comment