Saturday 21 June 2014

#9 - Saturday 21st

"fastest thing on the island"

my favourite room on the island: Haff Yok Cafe

Lie in this morning! Thankfully slept through a text from the GP at 4am, he rang again at 11, and I thought he was suggesting there were some patients to see - always clarify on the phone... I'd inadvertently committed to a run... finished the run and was told I was now the 'fastest thing on the island' - I'll take that! Moved into my new accommodation, very cosy and treated myself to lunch at the Haff Yok (pea soup and coffee cake), entered a sugary, sleepy haze. I'd forgotten the post office closed Saturday afternoon until Monday, if I want to go to Papay tomorrow, I'll need my remaining cash (problems of island living!) so I now IOU the Haff Yok, as she said.. she knows where I live! This definitely epitomizes the fab Orkney spirit... Spent the afty doing touristy things, the craft centres and Heritage Centre, saw the 'Westray Wife' and the 'Westray Stone' - famous archeological findings. Tour of the Chalmersquoy accommodation - all very 'fine'. Spent a few hours sat in the sun outside, facetiming Parul in Holland and chatting to some fellow holiday-makers. Saturday night is chip shop night... might even buy some mushy peas from the shop & I'll hopefully see the longest day out on Grobust beach.... As you've probably guessed the weather here's not perfect... but it is fantastic for grass. The Orcadians are very proud of their grass, rightly so - the long days and rain do produce lush green carpet covering most of the island... it grows so quick, I've heard you can almost see it growing! I think I noticed the difference since my last run... but maybe I'm imagining it! & finally guess how many people here? 600. How many cows? 3000!


 i'll try and upload a photo of my new view, tomorrow - the internet's not playing!


No comments:

Post a Comment