Thursday 19 June 2014

#7 - Thursday 19th

cycling

meet Buttercup, Dolly and friends

Just morning clinic on Thursdays, two patients, cake break at 9:30 and a visit to the local sheltered housing (very nice). Afternoon off, returned 'home' - people trying to fix the shower! Decided to be brave and take the bike out for a spin (whilst the sun was shining no less). Set off for the westside road, followed a sign for 'Fitty Hill Viewpoint", after climbing over some barbed wire I got back on track between two cow fields.  Surprisingly had phone signal and decided to ring Gran, during this call the cows, starting with 'Buttercup' came over to investigate me.... looked up to over twenty cows interested, bit scary and a little smelly - said bye to Gran... progressively more cows (and a terrifying bull) lined up along the fence to see what I was.... reached the end of the field where the next field full of cows were ready... very welcoming and I felt very loved to have almost forty cows lining up and clambering over each other to 'wish me well'... Anyway made it to the top of 'Fitty'  - lovely views, obviously very windy! Began some more cycling back towards the main road and down to the southern most tip - 'Ness'. I scared a number of animals, they scared me too. Odd 'teashop' at Rapness - but in desperate need of a cuppa.... beautiful bays and views over to the other islands from the south end. Cycling back the wind was no longer with me and I dreamed about 'David Miller's' shop for most of the return journey:an apple/nectarine/fudge/fruit&nut bar and some water were fantastic, I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed a snack as much.... I'd offered to cook the GP tea as he keeps feeding me, suddenly ran out of time and had to cycle again - picking rhubarb from the surgery garden and nipping to the shop (struggled to locate custard) - managed to speedily knock up pasta and a guesstimated rhubarb crumble. GP worried I might leave this placement skinnier (?how?) so he brought me some malteasers and chocolate croissants... along with the ample lemon drizzle cake and crumble left I'm more worried I might be over the plane's weight limit... never mind my suitcase! Evening cleared as we explored 'Noup Cliffs' with the lighthouse, lots of Gannets, Guillemots and a few puffins too. I'm going to miss the cows when I leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment