Sunday 6 July 2014

#21 – Thursday 3rd




surgery



Hospital was challenging today – firstly because it was my turn to be on the surgical team, something I’ve only ever done a week of before & during that week I managed to get switched to medicine…. It was a nice, busy morning seeing patients, saw some interesting things – had to move a patient who’d just walked in straight onto today’s theatre list… And then we had a phone call… a man was coming by ambulance…. With a severe life-changing (not life-threatening) injury. Absolutely amazing to see – but in the worst way… straight into theatre… (I nipped into town to try and sort out this bike for Sunday’s triathlon. I’d spoken the organizer who was lending me a bike – leaving it at the Cycle Orkney shop before she went away – easy. Asking at the bike shop it was clear however no bike was there & I was found out to be the girl who’d emailed Cycle Orkney for a bike and then changed my mind previously after this woman promised I’d lend hers. Orkney is a small place – always remember that.) Anyway he sent me on up to the pharmacy, “just go up to Sutherland’s”, “you’re a doctor at the hospital you should know these things…” – I did manage to clarify I was not a doctor and to discover this is where the woman usually works – awkwardly asking if she was in, I was obviously told she was still on Shetland (as she’d already texted me)… back to hospital after collecting Rebecca’s purse from Tesco. Ended up in scrubs and a hairnet in theatre – all these new experiences – walked in as a large saw was being used frantically. Instantly regretted going into theatre. The surgery was actually very interesting and so impressive – you’ve got to hand it to the general surgeons, they really can be asked to do anything here. Back to the ward, pretty heavy day today, emotionally rather than anything – some patients with real life changing events. Went out for dinner to meet Katy and her Gran, Joyce – Katy did the same elective as me last year and helped me to organize mine. Her Gran knows my Gran. Lovely meal, the most delicious tagliatelle and then Orkney fudge cheesecake, banana, toffee….. waddling home with the girls having a good giggle at the sign “Weet Pent”.

No comments:

Post a Comment