Sunday 6 July 2014

#22 – Friday 4th


wandering

Sunset over Kirkwall - look at the moon!
  


Back on the medical team with Charlie, a GP with special interest in acute medicine – two of them used to run the hospital before they switched to consultant-led care a few months/a year ago – its all a bit complicated at the mo. Charlie, the GP was absolutely lovely, fantastic with the patients – but far too popular, so many bleeps and questions & he’d been up from four-thirty that morning doing some paper or something! I actually think I helped on the ward round and in between – which is such a rare but wonderful feeling! I did not impress or help the anaesthetist during teaching at lunchtime – horrendous lack of knowledge… he didn’t even make eye contact with me after about 30seconds & he’s my supervisor… I wish he’d signed my forms on the first day like he suggested! Lunchtime – had to go home to find my phone... Quick call to the bike shop guy “so can I please borrow a bike like you said?”, yes I could… brilliant, “pop in tomorrow for a Peugeot, with downshifters and made of something fast and light”… super! Rebecca and I managed to wander into theatre, to watch the woman who’d been in the day before also… very, very interesting (again instantly regretted going in..) really, very sad though, a young woman with massively life changing illness – really very, very sick. We again saw the difficulties of rural places and transfers. Rebecca and I very tired (Rosie at home to see the Tour de France) had a chilled evening – and a wander down to the harbour. After a day of constant rain, it was fantastic to see the sun. Stunning evening. Quiet excitement for the cruise liners – 7500 people arriving tomorrow morning… Orkney mainland population’s only 17,000.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment