Tuesday 29 July 2014

#47 - Mardi 29th

Sentir

(to feel)



Sentir: sleepy/angry/frustrated/english/sleepy

Woke up to a snapchat from Rosie - she was just going to sleep... oh how I fancied sleeping some more! Had a good breakfast to keep me going through the momentous ward round..

Needless to say, this fancy breckie, followed with a crepe made me a little late.... Handover and then onto the ward round. I was asked to take a blood gas from 'my patient' - unfortunately (& I was laughed at again, we don't get taught this type of blood test until fifth year in newcastle..). I watched and was quite glad I wasn't causing him the pain, even despite the local anaethetic cream he'd had applied! (not in England...). Spoke to another patient, which was nice, I felt I'd come a long way to approach a patient and try a few sentences, I'm not really sure what about but he was smiling too, the tour featured again. 

I understood a lot more of the ward round, doing alright. Only four patients seen by eleven.... but it was okay, however long this morning lasted I would be having the afternoon off to see Rennes and buy train tickets to Paris. Brioche break at mid-day, when I say break - I mean 'brioche' at mid-day in the middle of the ward...People are friendlier to me which is nice though.
 
labcoats and behind is the x-ray light box

The ward round eventually ended  (I'd been contemplating something was wrong with me always falling asleep) and I went to ask, "I'd like to, this afternoon buy my tickets to go to Paris..." Confronted with, "Will you come back...?" was tricky... I tried, "Well, I can but what's this afternoon..." Long story short, I was to come back, the other ward had four new patients - who I would examine first alone and then return with the doctor (I had said 'no' but was told 'I think try first..'). Needless to say I was pretty frustrated and angry and sad. As I left I saw the demented patient who likes to tidy, surrounded by a pile of clean facecloths - folding, how heartwarming. Had a pitstop at home, including a cup of Anne's coffee... Calmed down enough to cycle to the station, got lost again, so frustrating. Arriving at the station desk, having to use my written plan and the computer screen - tickets booked, next wednesday! 

Back on the bike (despite being quite late, I couldn't just hop on a bus... I don't know where to buy tickets...and you can't on the bus?!!!). Made it back to la Tauvrais, standing on a stone and feeling so sorry for myself. Took a few minutes to find a doctor, I found the scarier doctor first who thankfully spoke to me very, very slowly: "you...would like....to...see....new....patient...?" Well quite frankly, no. So I grimaced and said, "oui." The friendlier doctor was with the patient and I observed the end of his examination - very interesting, very thorough. I particularly found the ?kidney check unsual - quite literally hammering his back (left and right) and asking, "mal? (pain?)".... well we don't do that in England... He'd been admitted with some back pain and so he had to ensure some more deep prodding. He quite clearly had Parkinsons Disease and she repeatedly did the 'lead-pipe' arm test, until she was applying a fair bit of force... it was obvious already!!!


After a few minutes we returned to see him, I was to ask him some questions about his home. Again I tried to say no. He knew I was English and his roomate and wife had now returned too, an audience... "Vouz habitez toute soule?" - apparently made no sense when I asked it... With some help from the doctor we went for something simpler, "Vous avez l'infermiere?" - You have a nurse?, meaning like a carer at home... After a few attempts, blank silence from everyone... me trying loudly and clearly, he admitted yes. Now to ask how many times or everyday? With the doctor asking it eventually came out that he did not have a nurse... "Vous avez des enfants?" No one understood so the doctor told me how to pronounce it... honestly the same as how I was... I'm sure.... Laughing when I said 'beaucoup' to his number of grandchildren - English girl says something in French! Spent the next hour in the office, understanding the docs okay and learning swearing - the computer wasn't playing....

Finally managed to ask to go... came home to find Phoebe out... thankfully with the neighbour for a walk and after speaking to her and Anne's mum we set off to the countryside to the creperie... Well it wasn't the countryside - picture teeside park, lots of restaurants around a cinema... lots of cars to watch from the window. It was lovely and despite my terrible french and her lack of English I think we understood 60% of each other. Yummy gallete and crepe (caramel, apple and ice cream) for pudding... 'petite cafe' to wash it all down too. I thought Anne suggested we visit somewhere, unless I was too tired... we arrived straight home... so I'm not sure what I'd said.. She was lovely and very patient.


Phoebe and I have just had super, time for bed before another day of looking after my poor, poor patient (poor him being assigned me) and then clinic, who knows what time or even where... I know its not a la Tauvrais....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment