Thursday 17 July 2014

#35 - Jeudi 17th


il fait chaud

(it is hot)

la boulangerie


Slept in this morning, Anne shouted through to wake me, breakfast all laid out. Made it into hospital and read a chapter of harry potter before I realized I should find the intern, not the other way around! Another morning of seeing patients, I understood more than yesterday - fantastique! & its nice now I know more about the patients, their names aren't displayed beside their bedside like in England - so its often difficult to remember who's who, regardless of the language. It was interesting to see a knee joint aspiration and they let me 'contributer' by opening the plaster packet! I seem to have had more smiles with people and jokes about the language - what is this called in English? (I think I was told a catheter was a 'renal tube' in french... but we can't be sure!!) Everyone seems more welcoming and I was more comfortable wandering the ward and having a nosey - similar to in England, it takes a few days to settle.. and perhaps my understanding, both verbal and non-verbal is increasing. Une bonne matin. Lunch - didn't have a clue what the doctors were chatting about, geriatric speed is much, much more me. After lunch we went to radiology just a small room downstairs and I also had to see the secretary... I was quite proud of the later because I understood and clarified what she wanted in French! From the other ward I could hear music... how just like heart-warming, the patients on the ward for long stay were singing, it was lovely. Returned to my ward, spoke to some patients' family - "je suis anglaise" did feature, but we still exchanged a few words! I managed to receive an x-ray radiograph, like a print out without difficulty (I think anyway), unfortunately it confirmed what we thought, a fracture - but the patient had pain (mal) on the other side of her body.... lots of discussion (I held some french conversations, kinda) about whether the sticker was on the wrong way etc.... oui! A droit ou a gauche? I helped this patient, well I passed her her stick and cardigan,as she asked.... probably shouldn't have given her the stick but anyway... And I was able to chat to a woman with dementia, she is adorable, I'm not sure I made any sense to her but I tried.... she isn't physically sick and spends her day cleaning, wandering around and around looking after the other patients, I had a discussion with her when I realized she was missing.... she'd found a pillow which she said was 'deranger' (not tidy).... very loveable, folding the towels, stroking a patients hair - trying to put her hairclip back in and asking me to get another patient a drink. Left at five - the day does go pretty quickly and I went for a wander on the way home, still so warm. In the hospital it is so hot (and with the labcoat on) I actually had to put my hand out the window to check it was open and not glass!! Also they like to leave the lights off for 'ambiance' - its very odd and I don't really like to feel like its a night shift (or so I imagine) when its day time! As I left I had to help someone to leave, "excusez-moi", you have to press both buttons simultaneously. Nice walk home, lots of parks and green spaces around the city. Very hot. Boulangerie time, see the photo... and that's only one side to the shop. The woman knows I'm english and replied to me in English... perhaps now I have an excuse for looking at all the cakes with fascination for ages? I bought a pomme et rhubarb crumble - crumble is pronounced differently and before I knew it my treat was wrapped with a pink bow.... well I couldn't just eat that as a snack now could I? Saving it for tomorrow. Anne's daughter came around and we shared some cider, everyone I've met so far has said they can't speak English, but when they do it is pretty phenomenal. It's nice they say they can't but I think they're just shy.... and it's probably better I have to speak french anyway!! Courgette curry.... Anne said if I don't become a doctor, I could be "recycled" as a cook - how nice! And she brought home a pomme tart, tart au Normande and she's treated me to some biscuits while she's away too. How lovely.

typical street


phoebe dans ma sandales

No comments:

Post a Comment