Tuesday 22 July 2014

#39 - Lundi 21st

 trouver

(to find)


Here we go again, week 2. Managed to introduce myself to a new medical student and met a Pharmacy Externe. I didn't recognise my own name when a doctor shouted me but I managed to get the gist of what she was telling me - she spoke pretty quickly for a good few minutes too! Onto the other team 'Amour'. (The team I embarrassed myself in front of last week)... nice to see some new patients and I understood more than last week, particularly the patient shouting 'partir, partir!' - (leave, leave) at us all....I don't think I managed to answer a question about low sodium... I just said 'yes'.... anyway my french ability and everyone's ability to stand up simultaneously declined until the ward round finally finished just before two. Reminder to myself, if I ever find myself running a ward round, breaks are essential - I'm sure it would be quicker with a full tummy! 

 Answered the question 'Am I working this afternoon...' wrongly.... found myself in another meeting. Introduced myself to a new dietician who kindly told me I spoke well - amazing. Long story short....I've realized you have three ways of listening to things, 1. in the foreign language - 'french', listening hard I can pick out words and then often decipher a meaning. 2. your language - 'English', picking out English words from french dialogue will only confuse.... 3. to zone out from all - 'rhythmic foreign language', very, very nice and very, very sleep inducing. Shared a few words with a woman, my franglais not great...I understood being told I could go home though. I'm not too bad, it just usually takes a couple of attempts and some time to process what's been said.
(Top tips for foreigners, short, slow sentences - you won't insult them, honestly. Use simple words. Consider how difficult it must be to ask someone to repeat themself twice and then still admit you don't understand. The temptation to answer with a smile, a yes or a no is huge, so seriously its worth thinking about. You can very easily restrict and bias your responses. Also give them time.)



The sun was breaking out, shorts on and onto a bike. Shopping list of, wool, postcards and midge stuff. Somehow made it into town event free, parked outside a shop selling 'Laine' - or in English, wool, amazing, I did not think I'd be able to find a wool shop in Rennes. Bright pink wool for mum. Next door was a postcard shop, I paid with the correct change, without looking at the figures.... Final thing on my list was midge stuff, looked up and there was a pharmacy.... managed to explain and buy a worth-every-cent gel, even if the pharmacists in my family don't recognize the active ingredient! Again right change, without seeing the figures.

I then spotted H&M... after Orkney I thought I was scared of shopping and that I only believed in practicality but as it turned out, retail therapy was just what I needed. I didn't actually buy anything but what a lovely forty minutes. (Also the prices are the same, only the currency sign changes... shocking!) Enjoyed a crepe and a 'petite' cafe, (hello first ever esspresso - whoops) under a parasol, writing my few postcards. The square was beautiful, full of people enjoying the sun and resting with their friends and family. It was really nice to be around other people, even strangers - something I also hadn't appreciated since Orkney. (Oh and again paid the correct change for my coffee without seeing the price!)


Cycled home, again event free (well questionably one horn toot, but I was scared he'd turn in front of me... anyway), nipped to the local shop (boulangerie closed on Mondays), replaced the dustpan I'd already broken. Finally finished my bottle of wine, (which was opened Friday and shared with Anne too). Spent the evening pottering and then reading harry potter in bed. 






 How beautiful is Rennes....




 

No comments:

Post a Comment