Saturday 12 July 2014

#30 - Saturday 12th

packing


Packing my last bits into my suitcase. Unpacking and re-packing my hand luggage everytime I needed my passport. Packing a lot into one day.... woke up early, enjoyed a bath rather than a shower, first breakfast with my parents (fried egg) and then second breakfast with the girls, speedy but lovely catch up - everyone has exciting things lined up for once. Thornaby train station in the glorious sunshine, crowds of people lining the platforms, all smart and with alcohol ready for York races. Arghh jam-packed does not even describe it.... thinking calm thoughts for the hour until York. Enjoyed a little nap, arriving at Manchester Airport just after two - what a maze that is from the station to Terminal 3 departures - I'm not in Orkney anymore... Through security and things, decided half three was time for tea - delicious pizza later, finishing with time to buy a bottle of water and hop onto my flight. It turned out to be plenty of time to spare... flight delayed for two hours - wandered a little, heard some spoken French, got scared.... started another crochet hat. Plane journey was fine, the hat's certainly developed & surprisingly I stayed awake for the whole hour long flight (I think the pilot flew a bit faster to make up some time!). Landed and there are those few minutes where you're all still sat on the plane but the door remains shut? In those few moments I was both fascinated by the airport staff - they were all french, I mean how exciting is that?! And also terrifying, what a terrible mistake I had made, oh dear me.... Spoke my first French at passport control. Found Anne, the lady whose house I'm staying in and off we drove (managed to get into the right side of the car without too much trouble). We used a mixture of both French and English, yes more English but still... Rennes seems huge but nice, bit industrial but feels nice. Park backs onto Anne's building and her flat is lovely. As is Pheobe the cat, she is adorable, all black with the biggest green eyes. Lovely room, some strange ornaments... door onto a balcony overlooking the street.... so, so nice. I will upload some photos tomorrow. Anne showed me the cooker and things, including her 22 year old washing machine (with instructions to be careful...) I think I need to find a launderette.... Anne bought a kettle especially today as she said she knows tea is important to the English - how amazing is that. She didn't have milk but nonetheless tea is tea. I was treated to a Brittany dish, pronounced "gee-let" it's sort of like a pancake, topped with an egg and cheese - absolutely delicious. Just unpacked and sat with Pheobe. It's dark here, how strange?! Also had a fleeting thought.... Anne has a black cat, a number of bottles and potions (I was told not to drink in the kitchen), some fairy/magical ornaments... could I be staying with a witch? Glenda in the Wizard of Oz asks "are you a good witch or a bad witch?" I'm sure she'd be a good witch, but still just a thought....

No comments:

Post a Comment