Saturday 19 July 2014

#37 - Samedi 19th

perdu

(to lose)



You know that feeling when you've finally found the right direction and you're full of optimism again? Fabulous feeling, I had that about twelve times today. However also followed eleven times with desperate, heart-sinking realization I was going the wrong way.....

To start the day I said bon voyage to Anne, quite sad, she's been good company. Had breakfast, cleaned the litter tray out - can you kill a cat with the vapour of cleaning products? I don't know what the florescent green gel was.... Thankfully Phoebe hadn't been sick again like yesterday. Eventually got psyched up to visit the town - hopped on my bike making it almost into town before the rain hit, but 'je suis anglais' and I had my coat so it was fine. Now to make it clear, to borrow these hire bikes I have to swipe Anne's card and I can only use a bike for a maximum of thirty minutes or she's charged, I have to return the bike to any of the stations around Rennes, simple yes?
 
So I arrived in town, found somewhere to leave bike #1. The market was right beside and looked amazing, lots of stands with lots of colourful vegetables, I decided to have a wander around Rennes before getting my heavy veggies. Rennes has a population double Hartlepool, but I'm sure its a lot bigger. I hadn't really expected it but Rennes is beautiful - big grand, artistic French buildings, very elegant and royal, I think the pictures will do it more justice than my words. It took a while for me to find the market again, circling the city, round and around. I got quite nervous to have to speak some French. Started with a tomato stall, amazing variety - every colour of tomatoes. He sussed me out as English within an instant, nice man but our Franglais wasn't great. Manged to buy some courgettes and onions, (was I spanish? italian?) Basil bought easily. Was teased trying to buy two nectarines, I thought my French was alright but anyway. The market was phenomenal, so, so large and bustling and amazing produce, veg, fruit, herbs, whole stalls of onions/garlic, a whole section of flowers (I managed to refrain) and then onto the seafood - looked increbile, but also scary - lots of shells.... meat and then inside to bread/cheese/pastries... accidentally bought a slice of cheese for nearly seven euros, (thank goodness its nice), a large baguette and into the last indoor building, I couldn't resist a fresh italian pasta stall, I think my french just about held up and I bought some vegetarian stuffed pasta. Finally for lunch, trying to juggle all my food and coat was a bit difficult but I made it in line for a gillet oeuf, quite nice, Anne's were better! Had a nice text from Gran Tiff, I seemed to be managing alright, other than the expensive cheese... yes I suppose I was....









no, I did not get this much cheese for 7 euros.

Egg gillet, Gillet is a Brittany dish





Lunch in the sun and I found a crate to carry my food in - looking very French... I was actually stopped and asked something me in French! Fantastic morning, already looking forward to going again next saturday. Found a bike easily (wanted to get home before my cheese melted) and off I set. Just to find the canal. Oh so where is the canal. Is it nearly thirty minutes? I'll get another bike just incase.... and again.... oh here's my mistake - going the wrong way along the canal, I'll turn around again. Few bikes later, consider the time pressures -(I had to make sure I hadn't gone more than fifteen minutes the wrong way without seeing a bike so if needed I could retreat!) I decided to stop for a drink and try and go back home later. Getting my shopping out of the basket, heart-break moment: my peaches were now liquid. Super. I sucked what I could from the stone. Going by foot now. Came across an endearing square with some more bikes, right, I'd already wasted about forty minutes but the map showed I was right beside the canal, perfect - this time - I'll be home in half an hour. Dropped my bread on the floor for the second time as the inevitable happened, my plastic bag snapped - food everwhere. Off I went. Another bike later I found myself struggling to follow the canal - some of it is covered - who covers a canal?! took a right and ended up near some old looking caravans, quite probably gypsies.... turned around and checked a map, I was now well south of the city, I live in the North. Swearing in English. Back on foot. I'll get a drink and walk home if I have to. Obviously got lost again. To carry my food without a bag, things were stuffed in my coat and I had to tuck the baguette under my arm - the paper around it had long since blown off.... mardy face grumping along - why did I even need a baguette, I have mine and Anne's here to eat still! After a while of wandering out of nowhere saw another set of bikes, I now knew the way, I'd be home in fifteen minutes. Oh no - apparently I couldn't have another bike - some reason in French - I just kept wildly pressing buttons... third time lucky... and finally I am able to see the station outside the flat. Wow, it was full - can you imagine if there wasn't a space for my bike now? YES I CAN, well there was a space, but it didn't work, (I tried about twenty times) believe me, stand 3 will not accept a bike. Arghhh, time was still ticking - to find another station.... I managed this part and went into the swimming pool beside - no longer caring about my ridiculous appearance, veg sticking out of every pocket, weilding a baguette around. Water was amazing. Fifteen minute walk and I collapsed at home, feeling well and truely frustrated. Three hours since I decided to leave town.


Managed to calm down reading, laid in the sun in the park. Arriving back home, I'd received a card from Corinne! Delicious dinner with the fresh tomatoes and the most incredible pasta - almost worth all of the faff. After tea decided I was in the mood for a short cycle. Mistake. The clear cycle path into town suddenly disappeared in to a track, I was confident in the signage but lets just say if there was a place to be attacked in Renne... I got quite scared... eventually found my way out - obviously not the way I'd came, that would be too simple... I was somehow back in town..... The river/canal was lovely, very 'Monet'. Got back without difficulty and locked the door, enough for one day. You spoke too soon Gran Tiffy.


No comments:

Post a Comment